Sunday 27 July 2008

Of The Dark Knight Part 2

It's been over 24 hours since I saw the Dark Knight and I still can't stop thinking about it. The movie is simply incredibly. "Fucking awesome" is all I could say when I came out of the cinema and really that is that needs to be said of this of this movie as it is plain and simply "fucking awesome".

My friend described it as "poetic". I told him point blank that he was wrong as it was more ironic however this is not going to be an indepth introspective of The Dark Knight, merely someone who loved it telling you how awesome it was.

So I'm going to say point blank that it's easily a 5 star film. Easily. One of six films I'd actually give 5 stars to (along with The Fountain, Requiem for a Dream, Garden State, The Matrix and Donnie Darko) and it definately deserves every iota of hype and praise it has recieved from the press and the general public. The Dark Knight might not be my favourite movie ever (still The Fountain) but it is up there (as I just said top 6).

The Dark Knight was also the best experience I've ever had in a cinema. I've had some pretty depressing experiences in cinemas and so this one just made the Dark Knight even more fantastic. No ones phone went off, no one talked, no clapped or laughed at inappropriate moments (there were still chuckles though). I'm the last person to clap for movies but I desperately wanted to give a standing ovation however no one else did so it looked like I was alone in my stance on how bloody amazing this movie was.

The Dark Knight is also the first of my five stars I've had the enjoyment of watching in a cinema. Every other one was watched in the safety of my own home (apart from The Fountain which oddly enough I watched on a 10 hour plane journey). So it's greatly improved my need to go to the cinema more often (along with Wall-E, another superb film).

Now the reviewy part. Everything about was fucking awesome. Whist I did have a couple of niggles. (Why did the Joker just leave Dent's fundraiser after Batman jumps through the window? Why didn't Batman call Gordon and tell him that the hostages were dressed as clones? Why didn't Sal Moroni have more than a walking stick after being dropped off the top of a building and breaking his legs?) But other than that everything and everyone was amazing. Paticularly Heath Ledger who is simply astounding as The Joker and it is worth seeing the movie just to watch him act in a role which if he doesn't recieve an Oscar nomination, shows how out of touch the award shows are.

The plot of the movie is dark as you'd expect with the only light coming from the occasional explosion. Christopher Nolan again shows how good a director he is backing his other films such as Memento and The Prestige.

Quite frankly this movie needs to be seen to be believed and by the looks of the numbers its raking in ($158 million in 3 days) pretty soon it will be. As I've already said in this rambling review (from someone who hasn't watched all of the Batman films), this movie is amazing. It definately gets 10 out of 10 and is the best movie that I have watched all year

Now for house cleaning. My view on The Wire will be posted soon. Very soon. Also expect in the coming weeks a look at Screenwipe, Lost Season 4 and Why the Season Finale of Doctor Who Sucked (and yet the rest of the series rocked).

No comments: