Friday 23 January 2009

Of Sex Drive



On my computer I have a list of movie that I need to review. Every so often I realise I've missed one off, so since the beginning of this month my list has been growing progressively longer. It currently stands at the obscene number of 18 films I aim to review in the incredibly near future including this one. I could be optimistic and say "I'm going to have them all done by January 31st!!!" but to be honest I probably won't so we're going to start with Sex Drive.

If you've checked out the above trailer then well you've actually seen the best bit of the movie. Yup the funniest part of the movie is in the trailer. Yes there are funny moments in the movie put that part in the trailer is the funniest. It's part of the 15 minute climax to the movie which I will say I laughed a lot at, but it is a bit annoying to have the best part of a movie spoiled in the trailer (however I laughed my arse off when I saw it the first time). So with that out of the way review time.

Sex Drive is a stereotypical teen comedy. It has everything you'd expect. A road trip, an awesome car, a virgin, lots of sexcapades, breasts, sex and of course humourous incidents. Now you might notice that I only put humourous, not hilarious and that's because it doesn't reach a level of hilarity such as Tropic Thunder or Role Models (yup I'm reviewing them both). So the movie is about as cliched as they come, but it still makes it work. The cast is fun and as I said there are funny moments such as the main character getting an erection during an abstinence convention and a girl urinating into a cars engine (I don't know why I didn't use boner and pissing just then).

The thing with Sex Drive is that the majority of it is mediocre, there's a "been there, done that" feel to it. It can't quite reach the level that Superbad set two years ago (even if that movie was about 20 minutes too long). Teen movies have come a long way since American Pie, which is where this movie seems to plant its feet. Since then there has been this sort of more "adult" comedy movie. This sort of genre had its way paved by Kevin Smith, Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen. The problem with Sex Drive is that whilst being funny, it just isn't funny enough. The new adult comedies seem to have out grown this constant need for sex jokes and actually have stories that have emotional grounding and are still hysterical.

Sex Drive does have it moments of funniness, in particular the last confrontation and Seth Green as the Amish man. Both were highlights in an otherwise "meh" movie. I would love to say run out and see this movie, but at the moment there are better comedies out such as Role Models and it also Oscar season so great movies like The Wrestler, Slumdog Millionaire and Benjamin Button are out there for people to go see (which they won't, idiots).

So overall Sex Drive is a funny movie with brief flashes of greatness. They spoiled the funniest moment in the trailer but I can sort of forgive them, I just wish that there had been more moments like that. 5/10

No comments: